Wednesday 6 February 2008

Lent Challenge

Did you know, 2% of all UK web traffic is on or heading to Facebook?!

I think there is a good chance that 1% of that figure is made up of all the times I check it during the day. I post on someones wall and within seconds I am pressing the refresh button too see if they have replied.

Now I speak to most of my friends on Facebook and I am curious as to how many of them I would still speak to if Facebook was suddenly taken away from me. I also can't help but wonder what I would be able to do with my life when I am not on Facebook.

So I am going to find out... (I can't believe I am about to say this) I am giving up facebook for lent!

More time to reflect, ponder and marvel at all the work I have to do without any worthwile distraction... Lovely.

Whilst I was at uni I was very good at procrastination... I always thought my degree should have been a BA Hons in Media and Sociology and Procrastination. Unfortunatley graduation did not kill that desire.It is for that reason as well that it is not just facebook I am giving up, I will also give up pointless website browsing. There is no point in me giving up Facebook if I will just replace it with other things. The only internet browsing I will do is the research that I need to do for work... No Internet browsing for my leisure, the only website I will visit is this one, so that I can keep a journal of this 'Mission Impossibe'.

Do you want to join me? Have you had enough of speaking to people in two sentences occaisionally on Facebook? I haven't recieved a letter in years that was just simply just a letter, and I am sure in this internet age may of you haven't too. So if I want to find out what my friends are up to then they can expect a phone call or a hand written letter.

I will keep you up to date with how I am doing, and if you have decided to join me then let me know and we can bring the personality back into society.

Have Fun!

No comments: